Friday, June 13, 2014

Barcelona - Hostale Cisneros



When I arrived off the train from Madrid I found that the hotel I had booked in London had lost my reservation.  So I was standing in the middle of the street perplexed at what my next move might be. A hotel, booked by phone lost my reservation other six months ago. But one thing I could do is get down to the Turismo as soon as possible. So I had to sprint down to the Turismo in the Placa de Catalunya and they fixed me up with a very nice hotel.

It was situated up in the Eixample (Expansion in Catalan) and was a few streets away from the Placa de Catalunya. For about £20 a night I got a reasonable room with bed and desk and use of a common room which was always buzzing with international guests. But best of all were the free buffet breakfasts where I could dine on pineapple juice, rolls, jamon and cereals and get to know the other guests. 




It was situated only a few minutes’ walk from La Ramblas and near to the wide Gran Via des Corts Catalanes where the entrance to the subway was situated near the Universitat. The Eixample itself was beautiful. When 19th Century Barcelona began to expand out of its Gothic quarter (Barri Gotic) it enabled new architects (notably Gaudi) to experiment with modernism. The grand boulevards are a pleasure to stroll with cars forced down avenues on either side and the centre given over to pedestrian walkways with palm trees. Gaudis modernist buildings are dotted all over the Eixample. There was a beautiful grey and purple building on Passeig de Gracia which looked like a piece of confectionary.

It was very close to gay nightlife which was why I wanted this part of the world. First is PUNTO which was high tech inside with Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s playing repeatedly. It was finished by ‘METRO’ a mega club. The place was so packed it housed a big dancefloor – plus around the corner a separate dancefloor for flamenco dancers.





No comments: